- God says to Ahaz "I’ll give you a sign".
- Ahaz says to God, "Thanks, but no thanks"
- Isaiah (speaking for God who is so frustrated with King Ahab that he cannot even speak to him!) says to Ahaz, "Hear then, O House of David!"
- The first set of clauses are attached to "Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ…"
- the second set of clauses are attached to Jesus – the son of God born of Mary: "the gospel according to his son…"
- The final set of clauses are associated with the Christ – the Messiah: "Jesus Christ our Lord…"