“Moses built an alter and called it The Lord is my Banner. He said, ‘For hands were lifted up to the throne of the Lord.’” ~Exodus 17:15-16
Short, simple reminders of God’s love for us can be a comfort anywhere and anytime. Even if it’s something we already know, having the words displayed in a beautiful way can inspire us and help us feel peaceful. Ask your kids to think about some simple messages like the ones suggested below, or any short phrase that helps them feel loved and safe.
- Colored Construction paper
- Ribbon, yarn or twine
- Elmore’s Glue, glue stick or scotch tape
- Markers or crayons
- Decide what you would like your banner to say. Maybe the name of your favorite biblical figure or a very short Bible verse, such as: “God is Love.” (1 John 4:16) or Love One Another (1 John 3:23)
- Cut a diamond shape out of cardboard or thick paper, with a tab along the top (see pic)
- Count the number of letters in the name or verse and trace that number of diamonds on colored
- Cut out the diamond shapes and write the biblical name or message, one letter on each piece
- Glue or tape the letters to the ribbon by folding over the tab as shown in the picture below
- String your banner up somewhere nice so you can admire your art!